I recently discovered The Sporkful Podcast through Planet Money’s Indicator podcast, and I like that “it’s not for foodies, it’s for eaters”. In their archives from last October, they have a story about Devin Pickard of Papa Kayjoe’s BBQ in Centerville, TN. An easy, 34 minute listen on barbecue, faith, and Sunday suppers in the South.
During the week, Devin Pickard is the pitmaster at his family’s BBQ restaurant in Centerville, Tennessee. But on Sundays, he trades the pit for the pulpit at the local church where he preaches. Food and faith are a natural pairing in the south, but Devin tells Dan that there are less obvious ways his two professions come together.
– Helen’s Bar-B-Q makes a big impression on Marie, Let’s Eat!
– They also quite liked Papa KayJoe’s BBQ in Centerville, TN though they are currently operating with a different smoker due to a fire
– National Geographic’s list of best barbecue in America runs through a few options in several barbecue locales
– From 2013, Relish Magazine has their own list of the 10 best barbecue restaurant that was clearly tweeted out for Memorial Day
– Honorable mentions for the TMBBQ Top 50 inclues the meats, desserts, and atmosphere that didn’t quite make the list
– Jim N’ Nick’s has opened in Mount Pleasant
– Sauceman’s has expanded both its building and its hours and Charlotte Agenda has the details on that as well as their grand reopening this Friday that will feature two whole hogs
– While the NCAA investigation of UNC reaches its 7th year, there’s at least this: