WILBER’S BACK (in Spring 2020)
Jamestown’s got a new wood-fired barbecue joint in Black Powder Smokehouse
A new barbecue newsletter called The ‘Cue Sheet from historian and author is a must-subscribe
Adrian Miller’s on the barbecue research trail at Lennon’s Restaurant in Warsaw, NC
Martin’s Bar-B-Que in Birmingham is one of the latest stops on John Tanner’s BBQ Blog, and he gave it a coveted Top Place tag
RIP San Antonio’s Granary
Barbecue-flavored vodka? Barbecue-flavored vodka.
Tejas Burgers is a new restaurant from the folks behind Tejas Chocolate that features a smoked burger
Our State Magazine’s got a NC barbecue quiz
– Bill Addison’s fifth annual list for Eater is now out and includes 2 barbecue restaurants: 2M Smokehouse in San Antonio and Franklin Barbecue in Austin; Franklin is one of only five restaurants (barbecue or otherwise) that have made his list all five years
– Whole hog barbecue is making its way to Texas
Carolina-style whole-hog barbecue is also making inroads in the self-proclaimed capital of Texas barbecue, Austin. Chef Evan LeRoy of LeRoy & Lewis Barbecue uses a trailer-mounted, whole-hog pit to offer pulled pork on his regular menu.
In perhaps the most ambitious implementation of Carolina-style whole-hog barbecue in Texas, chef Ted Prater of Banger’s Sausage House & Beer Garden in Austin is building a self-contained smokehouse with custom-built pits dedicated to cooking whole hogs. It’ll be ready in December.
– The owners behind Sauceman’s in Charlotte have sold the lot their restaurant sits on and are looking to relocate in Southend
– A short photo post on B’s Barbecue in Greenville
– From this month’s Garden and Gun, former Charlotte Magazine editor Michael Graff recalls the ribs he grew up on in Charles County, Maryland
– Dr. Howard Conyers spoke at his undergrad alma mater, NC A&T, yesterday on how science influenced his love of barbecue
– The more you know
– Damon Stainbrook, a former French Laundry sous chef, has opened his second Pig in a Pickle barbecue restaurant location in the SF area and is smoking onsite over California white oak
– I continue to love how Dave Grohl’s fallback profession is seemingly “Carolina pitmaster”
– Update: no longer a fallback profession:
Eater’s A Day at the Pit checks out Texas barbecue joint infusing its barbecue with Mexican flavors.
At 2M Smokehouse in San Antonio Texas, pitmaster Esaul Ramos is breaking Texas tradition by bringing in flavors he grew up with. Ramos’ barbacoa, brisket, ribs, turkey, and sausage all draw from his Mexican heritage in their own way.
– A small smoker has been stolen from the Durham restaurant It’s a Southern Thing
– Jelly: 52 weeks of barbecue in 2018 for the San Antonio Express News
– The recent cold snap in NC (as well as the rest of the eastern seaboard) is no thing for hogs and their modern climate controlled barns
– A new restaurant from the folks at Stiles Switch
– Fort Worth Magazine has the quintessential guide to Fort Worth barbecue
– Sadly, about a 100 employees were affected