– Speedy Lohr’s in Lexington has finally reopened, nearly a year after a fire forced it to close
– Daniel Vaughn of TMBBQ writes a eulogy for the barbecue joint, including Grady’s
We all know that barbecue is growing, but a reminder is in order. As we pointed out last year, the independently run, counter-service barbecue restaurant numbers are shrinking. Those are the barbecue joints. When they’re gone, they’re gone.
– Missed this last week, but Jim Shahin had a SC barbecue primer in addition to the “future of barbecue” article I linked to
– Saveur Magazine has an article on the history of Chicago barbecue
– Robert Moss likes the whole hog at Buxton Hall a lot, but says not to skip the fried catfish
– Grant’s latest stops: Roger’s Bar-B-Que in La Grange, GA and Byron’s Smokehouse in Auburn, AL
– The Davidson Farmer’s Market Pig Pickin’ is this Saturday and features Chef Michael Spencer of Fork! preparing a 150-pound pig for pulled pork sandwiches, tacos, and banh mi sandwiches
– Wyatt Dickson of Picnic will be bringing whole hog barbecue to Lewis BBQ on 8/21
– The 20 most ridiculous NFL stadium foods includes the Hogmolly from Bank of America Stadium, home of the Carolina Panthers (though technically Charlotte is not “in the heart of whole hog country”)
The Hogmolly, created for Panthers GM Dave Gettleman and inspired by his nickname for “linemen of girth.” Sliced smoked brisket, tomato BBQ sauce, fried onions, pickled jalapeno, and cole slaw. It’s called a Hogmolly, so why isn’t there pork? And why are they featuring brisket in the heart of whole hog country? So many questions.
– The 85th Mallard Creek Barbecue Festival and the Q City Barbecue Championship make Creative Loafing’s 5 food events not to miss this fall
– The East-West Barbecue Fest was held in downtown Greensboro last weekend
– A short profile on Lexington, NC barbecue and five of its 17 or so barbecue joints
– The latest Smoked column on eater takes a look at Black’s Barbecue; here’s our review (along with Kreuz Market) if you are so inclined
– Speaking of Black’s, their soon-to-be-opened Austin location is hiring
– Marie, Let’s Eat! visits Chuck’s Barbecue in Opelika and Price’s Barbecue House in Auburn during a recent trip to Alabama
– Big Wayner checks out Ubon’s Bar-B-Que and Catering in Yazoo City, Mississippi
– Thanks for the shout out, Barbecue Rankings!
– This awesome 12″ x 18″ print made in South Carolina is on sale from Huckberry (sans frame); if you aren’t a member feel free to join using this link and get $5 credit