– Charlotte Beer has a post on The Great NC BBQ Map and the barbecue-themed smoked amber ale with chile peppers being brewed in for their launch party; speaking of which, it’s still not too late to pledge to their Kickstarter!
– An update on Rodney Scott post-exile tour:
All told, the tour raised just over $80,000, $60,000 of which will go toward the estimated $100,000 it will take Scott to rebuild his pit room. (The remaining $40,000 he’ll secure through a bank loan.)
As a 40-year-old business, Scott’s might have been able to sneak by with some grandfathering and just recreate what they had before. But Scott says, “We came to the conclusion that we should do this right. We decided to upgrade to all codes and all regulations, so this thing would be [around] more than a few more years.”
– Unknown Brewing Co. in Charlotte is having a Smoke Off on April 19 with 20 teams competing, live music, and beer of course
Save the date – 4/19! Time to party & support our Veterans! Bbq, bands, beer…America! pic.twitter.com/6TVu9sRUBU— Unknown Brewing (@UnknownBrewing)
– There is a bill in the South Carolina senate which would declare barbecue the “Official State Picnic Cuisine of South Carolina”
– Speaking of which, Stephen Colbert is at it again; I know he is trolling but he does realize he is talking about mustard-based barbecue right?
– City Barbeque is opening in Cary, NC in mid April and are holding a sauce contest as part of their grand opening festivities; enter now through March 31
– And finally, Big Wayner has 5 reasons why you should join the newly formed North Carolina BBQ Association