– NC barbecue guru Bob Garner has a new book out that *gasp* isn’t completely about barbecue
The 187-page book does mention the state’s signature varieties of smoked meat and sauce, but it also explores other North Carolina food traditions, including fish stew, Ocracoke fig cake, banana pudding, collards and even Moravian chicken pie. The book is part cookbook, part essay collection, part dining guide.
– TMBBQ interview with friend of the blog Barbecue Rankings
– So there’s this:
We took this photo at Wendy’s today. Good news – everyone’s doing barbecue….bad news – everyone’s doing barbecue. pic.twitter.com/8UVrI1N9u3
— NBBQA (@NBBQA) September 30, 2014
– BBQ Jew with a short write up on The Great NC BBQ Map
– Q 4 Fun interviews a board member of the NC BBQ Association
What makes you different than the other associations, societies and networks?
We train our judges to recognize and appreciate NC-style BBQ. Teams will be judged on their ability to produce traditional NC-style BBQ. I don’t think other sanctioning bodies concentrate on regional BBQ styles. Furthermore, we not only sanction competitions, but hold cooking classing and are beginning to work on projects that will promote NC BBQ to the general public. We don’t see the other bodies as competitors. We see them as partners and can hopefully jointly sanction some events as with this year’s comp in Washington with the NC Pork Council.
– Arrogant Swine failed their construction inspection, but trudges on anyways; the blog post does have this great photo
– The Whole Hog Barbecue Championship is this weekend
– Diva Q visited Barbecue Bros fave Ed Mitchell’s Que (our 5 hog review) earlier this week