– The first three reviews from Marie, Let’s Eat!’s epic NC barbecue roadtrip last month have been posted: Red Bridges in Shelby, Wink’s King in Salisbury, and Lexington #1
– As beef prices rise, more and more Texas pitmasters are turning to pork
– Ranucci’s Big Butt BBQ, Grand Champions of the 2013 Q-City BBQ Competition, is hoping to crowdsource a portion of their new food truck
– Thrillist’s list of best barbecue in Atlanta
– The latest Carolina ‘Cue Restaurant featured in Our State Magazine is Bum’s Restaurant in Ayden
– JJ’s Red Hots is having a Bacon Beer & BBQ dinner on April 24 as part of NC Beer Month
Squealing w delight for @JJsRedHots‘ event: Bacon Beer & BBQ! https://t.co/xo5eiW28ia @TripleCBrew @KingofPopsCL pic.twitter.com/Zx5rSE3HUI— Charlottes got a lot (@Charlottgotalot)
– A short article on SC’s Barbecue Trail (via bbqboard)
– Mission BBQ, a military and first responder-focused Baltimore-based chain created by an Under Armour founder, opened earlier this week in Wilmington
– Another (more promising sounding) coastal barbecue restaurant, Southport Smokehouse BBQ, is opening sometime this month:
Natives of Lexington – a town some would argue is North Carolina’s barbecue ground zero – the Hemphills’ restaurant specialized in pork shoulders cooked over hickory logs “imported” from Davidson County. The pits, Elaine Hemphill said, were modeled after those at the famous Lexington Barbecue along Interstate 85 Business.
A trio of restaurateurs, Troy Knight, Jim Sparks and Ryan Salley (who will serve as pitmaster) has taken over the spot and are returning it to its roots. They’ll offer brisket, ribs and pulled pork with both Lexington-style and vinegar sauces cooked over hickory. Salley said he’ll mostly be smoking shoulders, a hallmark of the upstate variety, but would occasionally go whole hog, the more traditional method in the Eastern region.
– Scott’s BBQ is having their annual picnic on April 19 and oh how I wish I could make it back down to Hemingway for it
It’s that time again! Grab your lawn chairs,and come join us! pic.twitter.com/bvwZek7sQp— Rodney Scott (@rodneyscottbbq)