– Calvin Trillin of The New Yorker heads down to NC with John Shelton Reed and Dan Levine in search of true ‘cue
For some years, I’m now prepared to admit, I somehow labored under the impression that Rocky Mount is the line of demarcation that separates the two principal schools of North Carolina barbecue. Wrong. The line of demarcation is, roughly, Raleigh, sixty miles west. The Research Triangle—the area encompassing Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill—is a sort of demilitarized zone, where someone who’s been concentrating on the barbecue scene, as I was on my most recent visit, half expects to see the distinctive blue helmets of United Nations peacekeepers.
– Frank Scibelli of Midwood Smokehouse is going fast casual with Midwood Smokeshack in a TBD location
BREAKING: Scibelli will also open a fast-casual version of Midwood Smokehouse called Midwood Smokeshack pic.twitter.com/mNFeZHWJOr
— Charlotte Agenda (@charlotteagenda) October 27, 2015
– Charlotte Business Journal has a few more details on the new venture:
Scibelli says Midwood Smoke Shack would offer 70% of Midwood’s menu that features hand-pulled pork and chicken as well as brisket, ribs, sandwiches and burgers, plus side items such as mac-and-cheese and BBQ baked beans, and for dessert, peach cobbler and banana pudding.
– A couple more barbecue reviews from Marie, Let’s Eat!: Dave Poe’s in Marietta and the Dunwoody outpost of the Memphis Barbecue Company chain
– Harold Conyers is bringing SC whole hog barbecue to Nola
– Some photos from the 86th annual Mallard Creek Barbecue; we’ll have a few of our own in a post on Friday
– Does Lexington want to brand Lexington-style barbecue to prevent other restaurants outside of the city from diluting the brand?
– Queen City Q keeps on rolling, announcing a fourth location in the old Elwood’s BBQ & Burgers spot
– Chef Rick Bayless doesn’t like tv barbecue
A legendary chef explains why TV turns BBQ into “frat-boy food” – https://t.co/VlZnSEo9qD pic.twitter.com/XJXLEQRdrN
— First We Feast (@firstwefeast) October 23, 2015