– I think this is a pretty big deal. I may be mistaken, but I can’t recall in my 6 years of paying attention Stamey’s advertising their longtime Degar (from central Vietnam) pitmaster Chhanuon Ponn so prominently (though I know they have his photo up in the restaurant).
This is our Pitmaster, Chhanuon Ponn, he has been cooking solely over wood coals for over 33 years now. If reading this doesn’t make you hungry for some authentic wood pit-cooked NC barbecue I don’t know what will! #NCbarbecue
Photo by Jerry Wolford pic.twitter.com/x823gFXbXo
— Stameys Barbecue (@stameysbarbecue) June 5, 2018
– Bob Garner’s latest is on Skylight Inn, Bum’s Restaurant, Sam Jones BBQ, and six generations of barbecue in Pitt County:
The owners of The Skylight Inn, Bum’s Restaurant and Sam Jones BBQ all trace their beginnings to common ancestor Skilten Dennis, who began selling barbecue to camp meeting groups around Ayden from the back of a covered wagon sometime in the mid-1800s.
– Huckberry has a short profile on Rodney Scott as well as his banana pudding recipe in their latest catalog
– Garden & Gun writes up Texas A&M’s Barbecue University but they gotta give NC State’s BBQ Camp some love!
We’d like to welcome you to BBQ University, where you’ll take the most important class in the South: https://t.co/xVxjkyAMum pic.twitter.com/gIX3473IEy
— Garden & Gun (@gardenandgun) June 9, 2018
– Food writer Peter Meehan (recently of “Ugly Delicious” fame): “Entering a National Barbecue Competition Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time”
I became a guy who was “into barbecue,” which, for as true as it is, is still somewhat painful to type. Talking Heads had told us that day was coming, when you wake up and ask yourself, Well, how did I get here?
– Food & Wine on how Jess Pryles became a hardcore carnivore
Very honored to be written up by @foodandwine along with some wonderfully talented ladies as part of a piece on women in BBQ. But moreso, managed to sneak two cuss words in. https://t.co/nkvFp7GAPH
— Jess Pryles (@jesspryles) June 7, 2018
– Food & Wine also features several other women of barbecue in their latest issue: Pat Mares of Ruby’s BBQ in Austin and Laura Loomis of Two Bros BBQ in San Antonio
– Food Republic: “Do yourself a favor this summer and learn to properly barbecue tofu”
Me: “I’m good”
– Daniel Vaughn remembers Anthony Bourdain
Gutted. From 2011 when we met for the first time. He said, “we’ll be doing business together.” He published my book 2 years later. #RIPBourdain pic.twitter.com/KFOzz6IsVA
— Daniel Vaughn (@BBQsnob) June 8, 2018