All North Carolina errthang edition:
– Parker’s Barbecue of Greenville was selected to be the provider of barbecue for the U.S. Open this weekend in Pinehurst
What’s this I hear about you trying to get a Thai pitmaster? You’re not going to turn Northeastern Carolina ’cue into Southeast Asian ’cue are you?
I figured I’d put an ad out there in the Thai community. Southeast Asians have been cooking North Carolina barbecue for generations. In fact the single largest diaspora community of Degars, natives of the central Highlands of Vietnam, live in Greensboro N.C. The pits of Stamey’s Barbecue in Greensboro, which is historically the most significant and influential western Carolina barbecue spot in the region, are run by a pitmaster by the name of Pon, a Degar immigrant. Several decades of traditional North Carolina barbecue has been served [and cooked] by a Southeast Asian American.
I’m not sure I’ll find a Southeast Asian pitmaster but if I do, we would be continuing a long standing tradition.
– Here is also a travelogue of NC Barbecue from last summer by the author of the above post and the aforementioned Tyson Ho, presumably as research for his upcoming joint
– Rocky Mount’s Eastern Carolina BBQ Throw Down will be on Destination America’s competition/reality show “BBQ Pit Wars”
– The Blue Ridge BBQ and Music Festival in Tryon makes Thrillist’s Top 10 Barbecue Festivals in the Country; the 21st edition of the festival is this weekend
– PSA: As was the case last year, dads eat free at Queen City Q on Father’s Day. See you there!