We have a new #1! Jon G’s BBQ hosts a regular pop-up at Southern Range Brewing in Monroe and smokes some of the finest brisket in NC (the pork’s not so bad either), which lands it at the top spot in our latest update. Since our last big board in December 2015, we’ve added seven total new joints to the list, four of which landed in the top 7: the aforementioned Jon G’s BBQ, Midwood Smokeshack – the fast casual brother of Midwood Smokehouse, the Texas-style joint Big Tiny’s BBQ in Mooresville, and the year-old korean-southern barbecue fusion of Seoul Food Meat Co. 2017 should hopefully bring us the debut of Jim Noble’s barbecue restaurant, the Texas-and-maybe-Lexington-barbecue-influenced Noble Smoke (side note: our top 5 has a little too much Texas flavor to it for my liking). He’s done some events in Charlotte over the past few months on his new smoker, and I am hoping his brick and mortar restaurant opens soon (or at least I get a chance to taste his barbecue somewhere).
What other Charlotte area joints should we check out? Feel free to weigh in on your favorite in the comments and if you present a strong enough case we will try to head there next. I’ve checked out a few joints recently based on reader comments and feedback (including our new #1) and am always looking for more, whether in Charlotte or across the state.
Note: “new” denotes reviewed since last big board update
- Jon G’s BBQ new
A recent revelation from Monroe. Check their Facebook and Instagram to figure out when Garren and Kelly will be smoking at Southern Range Brewing next because you won’t want to miss it.
- Boone’s Bar-B-Que Kitchen (food truck)
Some friends of the blog ordered some catering from Boone’s last summer and it was still pretty dang good. I hope to catch them out and about some time soon to see if Jon G’s really is the new best barbecue in town.
- Midwood Smokehouse: Ballantyne / Central Ave (original review)
Midwood keeps doing their thing, and continue to expand with another Charlotte location expected to open with the next month or so.
- Midwood Smokeshack (Matthews) new
Recently relocated Texas-born pitmaster Michael Wagner is doing some great things at the fast casual brother of Midwood Smokehouse.
- The Smoke Pit (Concord) (original review)
Having recently tried the Salisbury location of The Smoke Pit, I was reminded just how good their smoked meats are.
- Big Tiny’s BBQ (Mooresville) new
- Seoul Food Meat Co new
- Sauceman’s (original review)
- Bill Spoon’s Barbecue (original review)
- Kyle Fletcher’s Barbecue & Catering
- Q2U (Lake Wylie) new
- The Improper Pig
- Killer Q
- Bar-B-Q King
- 521 BBQ and Grill: Tega Cay / Indian Land
- Mac’s Speed Shop: Steele Creek / South Blvd
- Jim ‘N Nick’s Bar-B-Q (Concord)
- The Q Shack
- Smoke & Go Bar-B-Que (food truck)
- Kid Cashew new
- Treehouse Whiskey and Fork new
- Smoke Modern Barbeque (Huntersville)
- R&R Bar-B-Que (Concord)
- Queen City Q (original review)
- Lancaster’s BBQ: Huntersville / Mooresville
- Rock Store Bar-B-Q: Stallings / Mint Hill
- Moe’s Original Bar-B-Que: food truck / Matthews (original review)
- McKoy’s Smokehouse and Saloon
- Brooks’ Sandwich House
- Fort Mill BBQ Company (Fort Mill) new
- Queen City Q (Concord) new
- Bubba’s Barbecue
- JJR’s BBQ Shack
- Ranucci’s Big Butt BBQ
- The Dixie Pig (Rock Hill)
- City Smoke
- Bobbee-O’s BBQ (original review)
- OooWee BBQ (food truck)
- R.O.’s Bar-B-Que
Still to review: Dan the Pig Man (food truck), Bodrick’s BBQ, Glenn’s Again (Kannapolis), Slow Smokin’ BBQ (food truck), Smokey J’s BBQ (food truck), Smoke Modern Barbeque (Stonecrest), JB’s Lazy Pig BBQ and Ice Cream (Waxhaw), Unnamed Jim Noble barbecue restaurant (coming soon), Randy’s BBQ (Troutman), City Barbeque, Dan Good Que