– Dave Grohl learned to first love barbecue in NC, though I’m curious if he was coming inland from the beach and if so, where:
When Nirvana became popular, the first thing I did is I bought a beach house in North Carolina and spent years up there, and I just ate pulled pork like f—ing crazy from the time I was 22 to about 25 years old,” Grohl said in between temperature checks. When he broke his leg on tour a few years ago and was holed up at home, he really dove into making it himself.
– Vegan barbecue in Charlotte? For shame!
– Pitmaster Matt Horn is bringing central Texas style barbecue to Oakland
– Tim Carman loves ZZQ in Richmond
The best barbecue in Virginia — hell, the best barbecue in the mid-Atlantic — can be found in Richmond at @zzqrva. https://t.co/INjEt28Pw5
— Tim Carman (@timcarman) September 25, 2018
– The latest on Noble Smoke, though you may find it behind the Charlotte Business Journal paywall if you have visited the site a few times this month
– Triad fall festivals including the Barbecue Festival in Lexington and Whole Hog Barbecue Championship in Raleigh are moving ahead as planned and do not expect to be impacted by the aftermath of Florence
– The N.C. Department of Transportation and Amtrak are offering a 15% discount on train rides to Lexington during the two days of The Barbecue Festival
– Lexington has been ranked one of the smelliest cities in the US according to Expedia
The thick, sweet smoke, tangled with the scent of hickory, wafts through from the barbecue pits in Lexington. Here the air smells of tender meat, falling off the bone, slathered in the town’s very own tomato-based sauce.
– The Smoking Ho on Lewis Barbecue: “If you picked Lewis Barbecue up and placed it anywhere in Texas, it would make the Texas Monthly BBQ Top 10 list. Easily.”
One of the stops I was really looking forward to on #HogTripping was Lewis Barbecue. It did not disappoint. It’s safe to say it’s one of the best BBQ joints in America. https://t.co/qKz4lc0lOP pic.twitter.com/iFgHgc7eoX
— Jimmy Ho (@TheSmokingHo) September 25, 2018